Learning Resource Centre
At Applemore, we take Reading very seriously. It is at the heart of everything we do and is essential for learning across the whole curriculum.
In our Learning Resource Centre, students have access to over 8000 books, both Fiction and Non Fiction, as well as approximately 3,500 E-books. We also have resources to help students who need additional support with reading, such as Audio books, Large Print and Dyslexia Friendly books. There are 30 computers available for research and students are able to use the resources to complete and print homework.
Our E-book platform can be accessed via this link https://applemore-hantssls.wheelers.co/. Students can log in using their college ID. The E-platform App is free to download and all of the books are free to borrow.
Each year we run a Literary Festival, which takes place over two weeks in the Summer term. Some of the events our students have been involved in are as follows:
- Author talks and workshops with Sufiya Ahmed, Alex Bell, Katy Birchall, Matt Dickinson, Stewart Foster, Dan Freedman, Vanessa Harbour and Holly Smale.
- Virtual author events with Marcus Rashford, Kirsty Applebaum and Alex Wheatle.
- Illustration workshops with Simon Chadwick
- Fake News workshops with The Guardian
- Poetry Workshops with Matt West, Southampton's Poet Laureate
- Book Art sessions with Tidal Arts
- Comedy writing workshops with Mike Vaughan
- The Great Bookish Bake Off where students were asked to create bakes with a literary theme.
- Book -v- film events – The Greatest Showman and Wonder.
Some of our Year 8 students had the opportunity of taking part in the judging for the Hampshire Book Award and Year 9 students took part in an amazing Poetry Slam event and had the chance to meet the UK Poetry Slam champion, Usaama Minhas.
There are various displays in the Library throughout the year to celebrate and raise awareness of events such as World Book Day, Black History Month, Mental Health Awareness week, National Poetry Day and many others.
In partnership with Booktrust, we ensure that all students in Year 7 receive a free book to take home and keep during their first year at Applemore, this is a very important scheme which encourages reading and book ownership.
Our Year 7 and 8 students will take part in the Accelerated Reader scheme to help improve their reading practice and vocabulary. This scheme has shown amazing results with our students and they enjoy the reading and quizzing on the books they have read. Rewards are given at the end of each term to students who have made good progress and tried their best. Everyone is on their own reading journey and we are determined to help every child become a reader.
Link to Accelerated Reader: Welcome to Renaissance Place (renlearn.co.uk)
The Learning Resource Centre is on social media and we have lots of amazing authors following us! Keep up to date with what is happening here